Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Other Side of the Fence

Chapter Three


“You killed Eddie!!!” screamed Ralph as he vaguely pointed his gun in the woman’s direction all the while trying to judge the condition of his friend.
“He’s not dead.” Said the woman calmly, aiming Eddie’s gun at Ralph.
“How can you tell?”
“He isn’t even bleeding.”
“Something is wrong with his head…look at him!!!”
“That’s just saran wrap.”
“Saran wrap?!!”
“Yes, saran wrap.”
“What the hell is going on around here?” asked Ralph, “he’s supposed to have you tied up and near death.”
The woman shrugged and said, “Oh well.”
“No that ain’t right. It’s just not right. From now on things are changing and fast.” said Ralph, aiming his gun with more accuracy at the woman’s head, “Put the gun down.”
“I’m afraid I can’t do that.” said the woman, taking aim at a spot between Ralph’s eyebrows.
Against his will, Ralph could feel beads of sweat start to form on his forehead. Swallowing hard he said, “Oh this is ridiculous. You ain’t going to hurt no one little girl. So just put the gun down and you won’t hurt yourself.”
“I just think I should warn you that I have just completed a course on marksmanship.”
“So what?”
“There were forty people in the class and I won the contest that was held at the end of every single class.”
“Big woop.”
“There were thirty classes.”
Ralph could feel the beads of sweat massing together to form rivulets of water running down the side of his face. His own gun was starting to feel pretty heavy by this point but the gun that she had aimed at his cranium did not appear to be wavering or shaking one bit. Ralph swallowed with difficulty.
The one and only reason that I’m not blowing her head off right now, thought Ralph, is because she has to be kept alive. Yeah that’s it…thought Ralph…my hands are tied. I can’t snuff her because she has information that we need. So I have to cooperate with her even though I could very easily take her head off.
Lowering his arms, Ralph said, “You are in BIG trouble. You have no idea who you’re dealing with.”
“You’re right…I don’t,” said the woman, throwing a skipping rope at Ralph, “tell me all about it while you tie yourself up.”
“Your boyfriend messed with the wrong people.” Said Ralph, winding the rope around one wrist.
“What in hell are you talking about?”
“Is your name Vivian Fraser?”
“Maybe.”
“Yeah maybe,” said Ralph, laughing at the way her shoulders unconsciously crept protectively up around her ears, making it perfectly clear that Ralph had met his mark.
“And your boyfriend is Stan Forman?”
“Finish tying up your wrists!!!”
“Well darling I hate to be the bearer of bad news…but your boyfriend…he’s a thief.”

No comments: